DIY Skincare & Massage
Updated: Apr 1
In a world of tight schedules, harmful pollution, chemically-laden products, high anxiety, and environmental toxin overload, it is impossible for our skin not to feel and show the effects of it all! Thankfully, with a little commitment, you can maintain your skin's natural beauty in the comfort of your own home! Keep reading to get some tips and simple at-home methods to reduce stress, support your skin, and decrease ageing signs!
Cleansing Your Skin
The first step in caring for your skin is to cleanse it properly! Perspiration, grease, dust, dirt, and bacteria all collect on your skin and must be removed entirely. There are many different skin types; oily, dry, sensitive, and prone to acne. Different cleansers do better with each type based on the pH and other varying factors. Cleansing helps clean the skin, open the pores, and allow the skin to absorb best the products you will apply.
To properly cleanse, begin by wetting the face with lukewarm water. Apply the cleanser that is best for your skin type on your face and neck and gently massage in a circular, upward motion for at least five minutes (duration also depends on the instructions provided with the cleanser you are using). Remove by using a damp washcloth and warm water to ensure all of the residues are removed from the face.
Nourishing Your Skin
Nourishing your skin is also an essential part of any skincare routine. Dirt, dust, hot and cold weather, and even sunlight, all tend to dry out the skin, robbing it of moisture and oil. Consequently, making sure to cleanse your face each night before bed is essential to younger-looking skin. Skin "foods" or moisturizers attempt to replenish nourishment to the skin, reviving its natural healthiness. Again, different moisturizers work well for different skin types. If your skin is more on the oily side, avoid moisturizers that contain oils and opt for one that contains glycerin instead. If you have drier skin, applying a moisturizer right after washing your face helps prevent drying and get moisturizer locked in right away. If you have neutral skin, you can usually get away using a product containing oil or glycerin. Just make sure to look for a product for neutral skin types.
A facial (yes even for men) is the quickest way of cleansing, reviving, and brightening faded skin, leaving the skin light, soft and glowing. A facial also does a thorough job of relaxing frazzled nerves so that you emerge not only looking younger but also feeling fresher and more relaxed! A facial once or twice each month will ensure rejuvenated and a new skin for a long time to come!
Massaging your Skin
Massaging your face is another essential practice for healthy skin and can also be relaxing! While being an effective way to counter wrinkles, massaging is a slow process. Its results are apparent only if it is practised regularly for an extended period. That said, there is no doubt that massage is highly beneficial for tightening facial tissues, increasing blood flow, stimulating nerves and thus, boosting collagen production.
Massage is most effective if the skin is thoroughly cleansed first. Otherwise, particles of dirt will end up blocking the pores of the skin. If the skin is oily, then remove oiliness by applying cleansing milk or some astringent lotion. Fresh lemon juice is also very useful in eliminating excess oiliness. If the skin is dry, use a good moisturizer before massaging it. Finally, apply Vitamin E cream using only enough to give sufficient greasiness to the skin so that the hands and fingers move smoothly on the face.
After having cleaned the skin, press it with light but firm fingers, putting a little pressure while applying a good moisturizer. Make sure to hold the skin firmly and apply even pressure. The massage should start from the neck and move upwards, ending at the forehead or temples. Veins and tissues get an increased flow of oxygen/ blood supply by this process. The skin around the eyes is delicate, so it is advisable to apply the cream on this part without pressing it in too deeply. The cream takes 15 to 20 minutes to get absorbed by the skin, so massage should continue that long. Gently wipe off excess cream when finished.
The Art of Massaging
- Slow Massage - This is the most common method of massage and the most relaxing. The secret is to massage slowly while patting the skin. Using the fleshy part of your fingertips, press the skin lightly with a slow, stroking motion. The process starts at the base of the neck at a slow speed. Stroking gives rest to the nerves. The vibration is useful in subduing pain that more sensitive areas might cause.
- Fast Massage - The front half of both the palms are used to massage at speed, taking care to make a circular motion upwards
- Pressure Massage - This is a method when slow, deep pressure is applied by the fingertips and is very effective for removing pouches beneath eyes.
-Stroking Massage - Cheeks are stroked with the tips of fingers and strokes are applied from the nose to the temples on both sides
- Pinching Massage - Effective for a sagging chin or wrinkles on the jawline, the skin is held, as in pinchers, between the thumb and fingers and gently massaged.
- Friction Massage - This massage requires pressure on the skin. At the same time, it is being moved over the underlying bone and muscle structures. Fingers or palms are usually best for this type of massage, and hand movements are typically employed on the scalp. In contrast, light movements are used on the face and neck.
- Piano Playing Movements - This exercise develops facial muscles and makes them firm. It should be done with the fingers on the entire face, especially the cheek area.
Making your Skin Products
● DIY Face Scrub
In a bowl combine 1/2 cup of Organic Brown Sugar and 1/4 cup of Organic Avocado Oil. Mix well until combined. Scoop out a kiwi, muddle it down and then mix it in with the sugar and oil. Store the mixture in an air-tight glass jar and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
● Handmade Massage Oil
Add 1/4 cup of your favourite carrier oil to a jar or container(almond oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil are all great options). Next, choose your favourite essential oil or combination of oils and add 1 tsp total to the carrier oil. Mix well and allow to stand overnight.
So there you have it! By following these simple tips, and being consistent with your routines, you can easily start having brighter, healthier, and more rejuvenated looking skin in no time at all!
I look forward to seeing you for your full-body massage soon!